How I Lost 12.5 Pounds & Regained My Soul

Naked, as in truth, and uncensored, I share my daily quest to survive as a woman and artist, while dealing with the complications of a full life, meddling in politics, loving my children to excess, totally permanently married and on a never-ending diet. While my soul is in constant need of repair and redemption, I struggle to do the right thing. In the meantime, let's all double the love. (Love, not sex, you fool). All posts are copyrighted material.

Friday, September 14, 2007

Bottle gourds and fertilizer...


Good morning, my happy little green beans~

This is a bottle gourd blossom that started out looking like a morning glory but morphed into this lovely orchid-like bloom before it became a squash.

If you are wondering if these squash are edible, they are used often in Indian dishes, particularly the ones with a creamy tomato sauce and cashews. However, I couldn't find these squash in farmers' markets or conventional ones, which was my motivation for trying to grow them last year. I managed to get one bottle gourd out of the one plant that survived, so this year I planted a bunch of seeds. It was a pretty successful attempt as I mixed a third manure, a third potting soil and a third regular garden dirt into the planting hill.

My plants are climbing on everything and seem delighted with their new soil environment, and now I have enough little squash to make the Indian dish I love.

Last year I let the gourd survivor get large. Then I dried it upside down inside my house. Don't ask me why I did that, but I noticed with flowers and herbs, hanging them upside down is the method, so I tried it. Later I carved a design on it in a primitive way so it would match two similars gourds I had from Africa. Once the gourds are bigger they become too hard to eat anyway.

Oh, these are also called Birdhouse gourds if you are one of those people who is already planning your garden for next year.

Clark County Diva

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
SynBlog.com - Blog Directory SynBlog.com - Blog Directory
Google