How I Lost 12.5 Pounds & Regained My Soul

Naked, as in truth, and uncensored, I share my daily quest to survive as a woman and artist, while dealing with the complications of a full life, meddling in politics, loving my children to excess, totally permanently married and on a never-ending diet. While my soul is in constant need of repair and redemption, I struggle to do the right thing. In the meantime, let's all double the love. (Love, not sex, you fool). All posts are copyrighted material.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Nicknames and friendship...


Good morning, my happy little cacti~

Yes, nicknames in our family are a way of expressing affection. Dogs start out with names like Cosette (from Les Miserables) and end up being called 'Tiny', and beautiful given names end up being compressed into abbreviations like Ace and Bear and Mo. I am not sure if this is true in other cultures, but I know that in Mexico, nicknames are complicated to learn, as they do not need to represent any kind of connection to the actual name itself.

What am I talking about? For instance, in our culture, Richard can be Rick, Dick, Dicky, Ricky, or Rich. You can see how they came about. In the Mexican culture, nicknames are standardized as well, but they are things like "Pepe" instead of the formal name of "Jose". Go figure.

So when my husband makes a great point of re-naming everyone and everything in our lives, I go with the flow. There is some benefit to this tradition, however. If anyone ever tries to steal our dog using the Vet's records or our house burns down and our pets run away? When they try to call the dog by its given name, it won't respond. Then we can come into the pound, or wherever they are holding our precious pet, call the preferred nickname, and the dog will come running.

It isn't a security system, but it is things like this that help me sleep at night.:)

Clark County Diva

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
SynBlog.com - Blog Directory SynBlog.com - Blog Directory
Google