How I Lost 12.5 Pounds & Regained My Soul

Naked, as in truth, and uncensored, I share my daily quest to survive as a woman and artist, while dealing with the complications of a full life, meddling in politics, loving my children to excess, totally permanently married and on a never-ending diet. While my soul is in constant need of repair and redemption, I struggle to do the right thing. In the meantime, let's all double the love. (Love, not sex, you fool). All posts are copyrighted material.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Here is one more reason all children should be covered by National Insurance...


Good evening, my fabulous little ducklings~

This story again makes the case for health insurance in this country for all citizens, particularly children. Our local news reported on this little girl whose benign tumor began growing inside her nose when she was a month old. At the age of two, she was fortunate enough to have Doernbecher's Children's Hospital reduce the $20,000 surgery cost to $8,000 and help the child's mother get donations to cover the cost.

Why was she without insurance? She wasn't, but the Oregon Health Insurance program under which she was covered refused to pay for the operation, calling it 'cosmetic'. When I describe the picture of this little child with a bulbous nose like WC Fields, one cannot call this a cosmetic procedure, but a life-altering one.

Here's the full story and link:
HILLSBORO, Ore. - A toddler who developed a disfiguring tumor on her face when she was just one month old is getting a chance at a normal life.

Makighlee, 2, knows all about noses. She calls hers "owie."

Two weeks ago, Makighlee had her tumor, a hemangioma, surgically removed.

"The first thing I noticed was that she had nostrils," said Kayla Randolph, the girl's mother.

Over the next few weeks, the swelling on Makighlee's nose will gradually go down.

Her mother is also looking forward to an end to the cruel stares and comments.

"People looked at me with disgust," she said. "That really hurt."

Makighlee's surgery almost didn't happen.

The Oregon Health Plan refused to cover the $20,000 surgery, calling what Makighlee had a birthmark and the surgery, elective.

"When I found out they weren't going to pay for it, I was just devastated," Randolph said.

Dr. Carol MacArthur with Doernbecher Children's Hospital helped Randolph appeal the rejection, but still could not convince the Oregon Health Plan to cover the surgery.

"Ultimately, some plans don't cover certain things," said Dr. MacArthur. "That's how plans are written and you may be faced with a situation where you do have to raise money and pay for the operation."

"I was actually in tears," said Randolph. "Because I really didn't know how I was going to pay for it."

In the end, Randolph won her fight to get her daughter the surgery. Doernbecher Children's Hospital reduced the cost to $8,000 and donations covered the rest.

Source:
http://www.katu.com/news/local/8822602.html

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
SynBlog.com - Blog Directory SynBlog.com - Blog Directory
Google