How I Lost 12.5 Pounds & Regained My Soul

Naked, as in truth, and uncensored, I share my daily quest to survive as a woman and artist, while dealing with the complications of a full life, meddling in politics, loving my children to excess, totally permanently married and on a never-ending diet. While my soul is in constant need of repair and redemption, I struggle to do the right thing. In the meantime, let's all double the love. (Love, not sex, you fool). All posts are copyrighted material.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Those annoying cell phones.... yours and mine

Good morning, my little compulsive communicators~

Are you one of those people with a cell phone on them at all times? Me too. I can't help it, really, unless all my children are around me and my husband is home too.

There is just something so incredibly disappointing about gardening for a few hours and then going into the house to discover that your three favorite people in the whole world called while you were unhooked.

Anyway, tonight someone asked if anyone was expecting an organ donation. When no one responded, she said, "Okay, then, the rest of you can turn off your cell phones."

People waiting for organ transplants are generally fitted with cell phones or pagers so that when the organ is available they can immediately go to the hospital. Everyone understands that time is of the essence and if the hospital cannot reach you, they will call the next person on the list who is a match.

When I came back from that meeting tonight I happened to read about this exact situation. A ten-year-old who had been waiting for a heart, but when a heart became availabe, neither the child could nor his parents could be reached. The hospital finally contacted the police, who contacted the mother's cell phone carrier who pinpointed their position through global-positioning technology.

The police went to the location and discovered that the family was listening to a jazz concert and had the phone turned off. They stopped the concert, made the announcement looking for the family, and the mother and son immediately left for the hospital, accompanied by a standing ovation.

Ain't technology, and all its annoying qualities, grand just the same?
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/10/gps.transplant.ap/index.html

Clark County Diva


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
SynBlog.com - Blog Directory SynBlog.com - Blog Directory
Google